Integrative Health located in San Antonio, TX
Bringing the practice of Ayurveda to your life can naturally restore your balance, reduce your stress, and improve your overall vitality. At CoolMed in San Antonio, Texas, Melissa Cooley, DNP, is an experienced Ayurveda practitioner who incorporates this ancient methodology into her mind-body practice. For more information on the natural benefits of Ayurveda for both your body and your mental health, call CoolMed or schedule an appointment online today.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is an ancient form of medicine originating in India. Its name means “life-knowledge,” and the 5,000-year-old practice centers around maintaining your health and wellness by balancing your mind, body, and spirit.
The ancient practice of Ayurveda is structured around three doshas, or life forces. These doshas are everywhere in nature and help support our understanding of living organisms. The Ayurveda doshas include:
- Vata: dry, light, and cold; associated with air and wind, movement, and communication
- Pitta: hot, oily, and sharp; associated with fire and water, digestion, and transformation
- Kapha: heavy, cool, and slow; associated with water and earth, structure, cohesiveness, and lubrication
Everyone has a combination of these doshas, but one is typically more prominent than others. Each dosha manages a different function in your body, so it’s essential to maintain balance to reduce health problems.
How does Ayurveda work?
Melissa and her team use Ayurveda to bring a personalized approach to your health care by helping you make the best choices on lifestyle, diet, exercise, and supplements based on your mind-body type.
To maintain balance, Ayurveda focuses on:
- Eating a healthy diet specifically designed for your doshas
- Getting plenty of restful sleep
- Living in tune with nature
- Exercising your body, especially by practicing yoga
- Strengthening your powers of digestion
Ayurveda also focuses on living life easily and practicing acceptance instead of struggling or forcing things to go your way.
What are the benefits of Ayurveda?
Practicing Ayurveda provides numerous health benefits, such as:
- Reducing stress
- Helping with weight loss or weight maintenance
- Balancing your hormones naturally
- Reducing inflammation that develops from poor sleep, inadequate diet, and insufficient digestion
- Easing symptoms associated with illness and disease
- Improving your sleep
- Restoring your skin’s health and glow
- Regulating your system to manage bloating
By following an ayurvedic practice that includes yoga, meditation, herbal supplements, and breathing exercises, you also experience an overall improvement of your entire body, on the inside and out. This ancient practice can also address emotional problems, like depression and anxiety, by recalibrating your body and promoting balance.
To learn more about bringing the practice of Ayurveda into your life, call CoolMed or schedule an appointment online today.